Author Topic: Version v31 feedback  (Read 1287 times)

Mike1233

Re: Version v31 feedback
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 08:56:40 PM »
Hi Ed,
Thanks for you're reply.
When I check the internet connexion with shop I get an up adres on my PE. That's ok.
Then I go to settings and change the mac adres. Then I go to my router and add a mac adres and give it a up adres. Then I save it and the router reboots. I reconnect the PE and go to shop, do a test, I get an other up adres then the first time but not the up adres I connected to the mac adres.
I think I dkk somethjjng wrong. I hope sok because this is a good function I like to use.

Mike

Mike1233

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 11:59:23 PM »
Today I did the test a few times again by linking the ip address to a mac address and now it works.
I don't know if you can just enter random letters and numbers. That is probably not a valid mac address. Now I have tried various mac addresses from the internet and that works.

WorcsIT-Ed

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 09:10:11 AM »
Glad to hear you got it working.  Dot forget the mac is hex so only letters A to F, perhaps you had entered an invalid address?

Mike1233

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 10:08:29 AM »
I am almost sure that I used an invalid mac adres.   :-[

EvilGenius

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 05:51:58 AM »
Loaded this up today, beta ap and v31 firmware.  LG V20 running android 8.0, testing against a cisco 2960x.

I can't get a DHCP result from it in conjunction with other tests.  If I disable every other test and test DHCP alone, it gives me a result.  If I then leave that ticked and enable other tests, it clears the DHCP result, retests and fails to get a result, so I can't get a DHCP report along with other results. 

It also repeatedly fails to get CDP and LLDP results.  After half a dozen or so retries it eventually came up with a result, but on previous attempts it just sat there 'measuring' for a minute or so then stopped with no result.

I also found if I had ticked BER on an ethernet connected cable, on the report it prints BER results with the max number of errors which makes the report so wide it prints over top of the CDP info.

WorcsIT-Ed

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 08:22:44 AM »
Have you tried increasing DHCP timeout in settings?

EvilGenius

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 08:51:09 AM »
Same result with DHCP timeout set to 10s or 60s.  Changing the setting doesn't seem to make any difference to how long it sits there 'measuring' before ending without a result either. 

KBrownConsulting

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 01:20:42 PM »
Just received my Pockethernet in the mail yesterday.

Installed firmware 31 and am running the "v31a" mobile app as shown here.

I've only done brief testing so far but all the items I mention below I've tested on 2 different networks, each of which were using different brands of network switches and routers.

I have not tested CDP or LLDP but for me the DHCP test seems to be working fine. I tested it multiple times on the 2 networks and didn't have any problems.

Bugs:

1. The Blinker tool seems to have a lot of bugs and often causes the Pockethernet hardware to freeze:
First, I love the idea of the Blinker tool, please don't remove it or any of it's options! It would have saved me a bunch of time on a recent job if I'd had it then!
  • The biggest issue is that the Blinker tool often seems to cause the Pockethernet hardware to lockup. I haven't yet found a specific set of steps that cause it to lock up every time, but if you just play with the feature for a few minutes, enabling the blinker with different options, it inevitably will lock up the device. (Once I even saw it lockup on my first test. And by lock up, I mean it stops responding to the mobile app and you have to hold the power button down for 10 seconds to reset the device. Holding the power button for 3 seconds fails to turn the device off.)

• It seems that for nearly any option combination other than all "Auto", the State changes back to "Off" while there is still an active link. (Pictures might help explain: Here is an example of the correct functionality; while there is an "Established Link" the State shows "On" and all other options are disabled. But here's what happens if you change the options away from "Auto": After pressing the "On" button, everything seems to be working fine initially but then a few seconds later the State switches back to "Off" even though there is an "Established Link" (verified by LEDs on switch). In this scenario the only way to turn the link off is to press the "On" State button & then quickly press "Off" before it switches back off on it's own.)

• The "Blink" specific option doesn't seem to remember the options you set. Meaning that if I set the speed to 10Mbps (or 100Mbps) and then enable the "Blink" option, it correctly establishes a 10Mbps (or 100Mbps) link initially, but the second and all subsequent links are at Gigabit speeds. (It would be really nice to get this fixed as it would really makes the Blinker feature easier to use since on most switches a 10Mbps link (or even a 100Mbps link on some Gigabit switches) usually causes the LED to light up in a different color like orange or red instead of green and makes it MUCH easier to find your blinking light!)

• It shouldn't be allowed to select the Half-Duplex and Gigabit options at the same time. This one isn't critical, but since a Gigabit link is always full duplex it would make the app feel more polished if it prevented you from selecting Half-Duplex & Gigabit at the same time.

2. As mentioned by EvilGenius, if there are errors in the BER test the BER information in the report bleeds into the CDP info.
And speaking of the reports, now that I've played with it a little I think I really do prefer the report format from the older version of the software...

Feature Request:
  • Show the battery level of the device in the mobile app
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:08:24 PM by KBrownConsulting »

Alex van der Baan

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 12:03:29 PM »
Hi Pockethernet team,

Great to see that you managed to get this release out. I would like to share my thoughts on this release and provide some suggestions.

The report section can now support more than one testresult, happy this is included. I noticed the following issues:
--a full address will overlap the third column (tag)
--When not using the wiremap function the hight of the first row is set at default even when the second column test (TDR) needs more space. When choosing to test TDP and not Wiremap it results in overlapping results with the second row (TDP Graph)
--By default most test are included in the report, even when they are not examined. They are listed as n/a. If I could make a suggestion that would be to only include requested tests
--The reports are named as "Pockethernet report YYY-MM-DD HH:MM - Comment Tag", My report are usually scheduled around the fields Location & Port ID. For easy identification it would be ideal if these fields were used in the report especially since each test gets its own report.

I noticed that consecutive TDP testings with saved reports lead to a crash every 5 reports or so. My feeling is that this is linked to a merged report generation. I will continue testing this. I am using a Oneplus 6 device with latest android 9.0.4

Thanks again and look forward to further development.

Alex

echanney

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 03:19:29 PM »
I recently upgraded the firmware to 3.1 on the tester and the 3.1 beta on my phone a galaxy note 8.   prior to the update I never had a problem with the unit.  now after updating It repeatedly fails to get CDP and LLDP results.  it just sat there 'measuring' for a minute or so then stopped with no result.  I would use the device daily to locate what switch and port an ethernet drop was attached too, now it doesn't work.

echanney

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 03:25:14 PM »
i recently upgraded the firmware to 3.1 on the device and my phone a galaxy note 8. after upgrading cdp/lldp doesn't work it keeps rotating and then just stops without results.  Previously I used this feature daily to locate what switch and port an ethernet cable was going to, without problems. 

zeb

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 10:50:54 PM »
Hi,

I've just tested my PE and it receives both CDP and LLDP from my Cisco switch.  CDP is sent by the switch pretty much immediately that the port comes up but LLDP is only sent after quite a long delay.

What switch are you using?

Neil.

echanney

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2019, 08:15:52 AM »
we are a cisco shop, the feature worked prior to the upgrade and cdp LLDP being separated.

echanney

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2019, 08:58:52 AM »
we do have a few Avaya switches which I tested on also and the device failed to produce data when CDP and lldp is selected.  Again the feature worked on both Cisco and Avaya prior to the upgrade

echanney

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2019, 08:25:13 AM »
I reloaded the firmware onto the unit, seems that all is working now.  Thanks