Author Topic: No DHCP on PockEthernet - Help  (Read 825 times)

weltern

No DHCP on PockEthernet - Help
« on: January 08, 2019, 08:18:16 PM »
Hello,

We have two PockEthernet devices at my workplace to test them out in our environment. Unfortunately one of them will not receive DHCP when connected to the network, below is additional information.

1. Both devices are being used by iPhones (app version2.6i)
2. Both pockethernet devices have firmware version 30 on them (have tried with one on v29 as well).
3. we have done testing with connecting the iPhones to the other PockEthernet device. The one the did not work showed the same results on the other iPhone when swapped.
4. Both devices have been confirmed to receive DHCP from separate outside networks.
5. This is on a domain
6. Both have been tested on a known working cable (that works on the one getting DHCP)
7. The one NOT receiving DHCP is able to get all other information not related to DHCP (wiremap, poe, TDR, Link, CDP/LLDP) without issue
8. in doing some research we have found that turning off Outgoing VLAN Tag was required for us, this has been done on both. (this is how the one that IS working, started working)

Our current theory is possibly the name of the device? when looking up dhcp/dns records we can see the device that is working as pockethernet.ourdomain.org

is it possible the other device by default is also attempting to use this name but can't because it already exists in the network?

Thank you in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:44:44 PM by weltern »

iotkb

Re: No DHCP on PockEthernet - Help
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 02:38:29 PM »
I've got some issues that sound the same.

Do you have DHCP role on Windows Server in load balanced failover? Do you get any messages in the log files on your DHCP server?

My findings so far: https://forum.pockethernet.com/index.php?topic=305.0

jhoughton

Re: No DHCP on PockEthernet - Help
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 03:35:55 PM »
Welturn:

i dont think thats it, as its about the MAC address, and not the domain.  Yes having devices names the same can certainly cause issues.

If you wanted to test that, just go into DHCP, delete that entry (IP, etc) for the pocketethernet.ourdomain.org  The at the top of your DHCP server, click on Reconcile all (or just reconcile on the specific subnet. 

Then plug it all in and test it.

It should have rolled it to the next available IP, and I dont see the name being a bug issue, but it could be a bug, hence trying the above.

let us know,
J.