Author Topic: Is there any pockethernet staff still here?  (Read 2087 times)

RoyCruse

Is there any pockethernet staff still here?
« on: November 02, 2018, 01:08:19 PM »
Hi,   Ive just bought a pockethernet and have joined the forums to learn about its capabilities and any issues etc.

I have noticed there seems to be no posts from any pockethernet staff since July !!!

Are they still actively supporting and developing for this product or have I just bought a dead end product ?

vanaalten

Re: Is there any pockethernet staff still here?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 01:13:33 PM »
I'm afraid your conclusion about a dead-end product might be accurate. Several requests for more communication here are unanswered. There was a post long time ago about an update almost ready for release, but the best we got was a beta version.

My guess is that they are still selling this product, provide feedback via e-mail (see e.g. https://forum.pockethernet.com/index.php?topic=341.msg1579#msg1579), but other than that, lack time for any more support. For that reason I'm not recommending this product to anyone anymore.

Daniel26

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 12:18:51 PM »
Same to me. Cannot recommend it anymore.

EvilGenius

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 03:28:57 AM »
There have been a few quiet periods since this was released.  Each time they come back and mention being more communicative, it's never happened.  I don't think they're gone though.  Just poor at communication. 

Gerry777

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 04:13:10 PM »
I really like my pockethernet but several requests for more communication here and via mail are unanswered.
So for that reason it is hard to say but I'm not recommend this product at this time...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 04:19:30 PM by Gerry777 »

zeb

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 06:38:12 PM »
Sadly it's not looking promising. :(  I dropped Zoltan an email on the 16th but have, as yet, not had a reply.

Pockethernet isn't my first tool of choice as I find it cumbersome to use (two parts Pockethernet, one part smart phone)!  I have other tools that give a quick, and more convenient, result but Pockethernet is there for when I need it.  It finds issues that the others don't...  For example, it clearly shows when the cable to a WAP has been plugged into the console port, not the Ethernet port (pins 4 & 5 shorted).

Unfortunately without proper support, Pockethernet can't do well, even though it still seems to be for sale.  It's a great product that needs a few tweaks (an updated iOS app and the Android beta app releasing for starters).

I know that some work was done on documenting the Bluetooth protocol so that a replacement app could be written but the firmware would be a huge issue.

I really hope that the support/development issue can be sorted.  Like you, I couldn't recommend Pockethernet at the moment. :(

JeffB

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 11:17:52 PM »
Too bad. Had not checked the forums in a while, only to find there's not much response from Pockethernet Team.  They had promised a serial cable mode using the 1/8" jack.  But that never materialized. Zoltan and Jeroen, would like to see you come back.

zeb

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 12:40:27 AM »
Jeroen isn't currently working at Pockethernet (see https://forum.pockethernet.com/index.php?topic=344.msg1603#msg1603).

I've not had a response from Zoltan since my last email, I'll try another nudge but things really aren't looking promising. :(

Raymond

• North Central Positronics, LTD.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 06:53:30 PM »
I send an email to info on 18 august and got a reply on 26 august:

My email:
Hi,

I was browsing the forum and saw posts about firmware updates. In 1 post (https://forum.pockethernet.com/index.php?topic=301.0) of june the 1st 2018, that JBoxtel stated ipv6 will be there in 3 to 6 months.
But after this post it is terribly quiet from your side.

So after waiting a long time, i would like to hear (and a lot others with me i think)  how progress is going.

So could you please give us a (progress) update ?

Thanks,

Greetings,
Raymond

The answer:
Dear Raymond,

Development is still going on, but I can't name any ETA for new firmware
or apps.

Best regards,
Zoltan

So they are still alive.

zeb

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 10:17:11 PM »
Hi Raymond,

That's both good and bad.  Good that they're still there and apparently working on the development but bad that they can't even give us an estimate of when new firmware or apps will be available.

Sadly it seems that Pockethernet is no longer a priority for them.  :(  Communication doesn't seem a priority either.

I really want to be positive about Pockethernet but just can't at the moment.  It seems that we've been left high and dry.  When there are signs of actual development (change logs, beta firmware/apps, etc.) and some communication then I'll change my opinion and my review of the Android app.

Neil.

vanaalten

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 07:48:13 AM »
Pessimist's view:
They're still selling Pockethernet devices on the website. Suppose that they would have stated "development is stopped completely and no plans to start again"... sales would collapse immediately.

So I'm pessimistic here, since we haven't seen any (non-beta) firmware or app updates in a very long time: I think they're mostly selling what they still have on the shelves. That's my assumption, until I see any actual release of new software.

zeb

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 05:40:21 PM »
Six months since Zoltan's last message on here!  No response from him via PM or email.  It can really only mean one thing that Pockethernet is dead.  If it wasn't then why would he not communicate?