Author Topic: Feature requests: Regular communication, firmware updates and a bug tracker  (Read 2903 times)

vanaalten

Re: Feature requests: Regular communication, firmware updates and a bug tracker
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 08:30:06 PM »
...in the meantime, I got an e-mail response from Zoltan when I pointed info <at> pockethernet.com to this thread and the suggestion to open-source it. I'm not going to fully copy/paste it here, but essentially they're changing the communication strategy (which, I guess, means only support via e-mail, not via this forum); also they're still working on the app updates, going slow but they will come.

He also stated that open-sourcing it would require more effort than just finishing the app; plus, the community is too small for open source to work.

The last part sounds reasonable. Too few users to have sufficient development effort. The first part... hmmm, I hope that they will indeed finish the app update, but I think the complete project suffers quite a bit on the lack of progress and communication.

rubberduck

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 12:54:44 AM »
...in the meantime, I got an e-mail response from Zoltan when I pointed info <at> pockethernet.com to this thread and the suggestion to open-source it. I'm not going to fully copy/paste it here, but essentially they're changing the communication strategy (which, I guess, means only support via e-mail, not via this forum); also they're still working on the app updates, going slow but they will come.

He also stated that open-sourcing it would require more effort than just finishing the app; plus, the community is too small for open source to work.

The last part sounds reasonable. Too few users to have sufficient development effort. The first part... hmmm, I hope that they will indeed finish the app update, but I think the complete project suffers quite a bit on the lack of progress and communication.

The first part is up in the air for me. If they are still working on the updates then that is good news for all of us. To be honest even if they incorporated a blog on their main domain and simply posted "No work done, taking the month off" every month, would be a far cry better than what is going on now.

As for the open sourcing part, I completely disagree. The entire point of open sourcing a project on a collaborative platform is so that if others wish they can contribute a bug fix or new feature. If no one does help, then you are still left with the in house devs working on it at their pace. The only disadvantage of switching is you now have to commit code to the public and you may have to take some time out to review peoples pull requests before committing it to master. There are practically zero losses, if someone decides to help, YAY! If no one helps, well there is no impact on anyone since they will still be the soul developer. Although it is their choice at the end of the day. Unless they plan on monetizing the apps at some point I don't see why they decided not to open source.

Either way it is good to hear that work is still progressing at any pace it may be.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 12:56:53 AM by rubberduck »

zeb

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 09:55:38 AM »
but essentially they're changing the communication strategy (which, I guess, means only support via e-mail, not via this forum);
They're changing their communication strategy‽ Well, they couldn't make it any worse, could they?  Maybe they could communicate this change of communication strategy to the community or isn't that in their new strategy?

My email (on the 22nd October) to info@ remains unanswered!

I've therefore changed my rating in Google Play to one star and updated my review accordingly.

vanaalten

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 01:22:51 PM »
They're changing their communication strategy‽ Well, they couldn't make it any worse, could they?  Maybe they could communicate this change of communication strategy to the community or isn't that in their new strategy?
Yes, they should have communicated this. Especially since it can be seen (https://forum.pockethernet.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1) that Zoltan has visited this forum yesterday, without leaving any notification. Communication can certainly be improved. I'm not overly optimistic at the moment, but I do hope they are able to release an update for us soon.

Zoltan

• Administrator

eits

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2018, 09:29:40 AM »
requesting regular communication as a feature is somehow sad, but very understandable

rubberduck

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2018, 03:01:06 AM »
Fixed the transport backend. The issue of the missing bytes from specific packets was due to Bluez RFCOMM applications. Opening an RFCOMM socket directly to the device resolved the issue.

Now that everything is fairly usable I released the proof of concept. Wiremapping still has bugs where when a specific wire is disconnected it reports other wires being modified, but I am not quite sure how to resolve that yet. I am parsing the packet response as per the android app, and the packets are the same from the offical android app to my app, but yet it still comes out weird. It will require more information and looking into.

https://github.com/RubberDuckQuack/PE_PoC

rubberduck

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2018, 12:34:47 AM »
I haven't been working on my project due to lack of time due to real work. Although I took a few moments to just review some of the android client code and I stumbled accross indications that there was support added in the v30 android application for wiremap ends with specific numeric IDs.

A theoretical total possible number of ends is 255 (or 256 if you are 1 based) since the wiremap ID consists of 8 bits inside the packet. Unfortiently I am not sure when the hardware specifically toggles this byte in the wire map packet and would probably have something to do with the way the pins are configured in the wiremap end. At this point my code does not bother with checking for this ID byte since I have no way to test its functionality.

Hopefully by mid to late december I will have some free time to start polishing and adding a new test or two to the code base.

eits

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2018, 06:36:20 PM »
cool news