Author Topic: Ping "DNS resolution failed"  (Read 1278 times)

webernetz

• Blog Webernetz.net
Ping "DNS resolution failed"
« on: August 09, 2018, 05:04:15 PM »
Hey everyone,

I am running into the following issue with my Pockethernet:
Only the first ping test succeeds with its name resolution. The second and third ones doesn't look up the IPv4 addresses correctly.

I captured the traffic of the Pockethernet. The 2nd and 3rd DNS queries are sent to the IPv4 address of the first pinged server (!?!) rathern than to the real DNS server!

Have a look at the attached screenshots. While the first ping to "www.heise.de" with IPv4 address "193.99.144.85" was successful, the other two DNS queries were sent to exactly this address, while of course this HTTP server does not reply to them, hence the "DNS resolution failed".

Hardware version: 6
Firmware version: 29
iOS App version: 2.6i

Thx a lot,
Johannes

Edit: The upload section is not working. Here are the two screenshots:
https://ibb.co/eA6WY9
https://ibb.co/e9PPmU
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:07:26 PM by webernetz »

pcfe

Re: Ping "DNS resolution failed"
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 02:20:33 PM »
Hello,

With
  • Hardware version: 5
  • Firmware version: 29
  • Android App version: 2.8a
I also seems to have this issue

I did not tcpdump as I'm in the middle of measuring a bunch of new cables. Do tell if you need a dump but this should be easy to reproduce.

Test result;
If Server 1 is the fqdn of my internal DNS, Server 2 can be resolved and pinged successfully. But then Server 3 fails on DNS resolution.

pcfe

JeffB

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 11:17:49 PM »
Mine is hardware version 4, FW 31, but also fails if FQDN in ping test #3. Works fine if in #1, so I just flipped the order of my tests as the other ones I do are by IP address.

webernetz

• Blog Webernetz.net
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 04:26:07 PM »
Any updates about this bug? Can we ask for a fix? ;D I'm still running into it all the time.

zeb

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 06:51:30 PM »
You're unlikely to get a reply on here as Zoltan (Managing Director) hasn't posted on here for over six months.  There hasn't been a firmware update for over six months either, the last firmware released was a beta version.

You could try emailing info@pockethernet.com as mentioned in the FAQ.  I wish you good luck in getting a response.

Interestingly Pockethernet is still being advertised on Google with paid for adverts!

zeb

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 12:45:59 AM »
In a bizarre twist of fate, the paid for Google adverts are now gone!  Maybe it's something to do with Zoltan having checked the forum for new messages on the 24th September.  Maybe it's a coincidence!

I have asked him to post an update or release the code to the community so that it can be maintained but no response so far.