Author Topic: link test with pockethernet loopback connector always 100mbit  (Read 207 times)

w12w

hi basically its the same problem as an older unresolved topic:
http://forum.pockethernet.com/index.php?topic=264.0

when i try to test different cabled with the pockethernet loopback  connector it will report 100Mbit |FD|MDI
but when i test the same cable connected to a switch it does report its 1Gbit.
is there anyway to resolve this ??

samash

Re: link test with pockethernet loopback connector always 100mbit
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 03:18:18 AM »
Was this ever resolved? I have received my unit today and I have the exact same issue. Known good CAT6 patch leads fail at Gigabit when using the loopback adapter

ShadowLord

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 01:47:11 PM »
The link test is meant to test the capabilities of the network equipment you are connected to (including the cable). More specifically it checks the modes supported by the connected equipment over the attached cable which (partially) relies on the auto-negotiation capabilities of the connected equipment.
The loopback adapter is a passive component which does not do any of the negotiation, thus it is 'limited' to 100MBit only as gigabit requires auto-negotiation.

So if you want to test the maximum capability of the cable, do a BER test with the loopback connector attached. This will tell you if the cable is suited for the network speed you selected.
If you want to test the capability of your equipment and/or the capability of that equipment with the particular connected cable do the link test (with the cable connected to the equipment :) ).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:50:24 PM by ShadowLord »

Bogeyman

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 04:13:15 PM »
The link test is meant to test the capabilities of the network equipment you are connected to (including the cable). More specifically it checks the modes supported by the connected equipment over the attached cable which (partially) relies on the auto-negotiation capabilities of the connected equipment.
The loopback adapter is a passive component which does not do any of the negotiation, thus it is 'limited' to 100MBit only as gigabit requires auto-negotiation.

So if you want to test the maximum capability of the cable, do a BER test with the loopback connector attached. This will tell you if the cable is suited for the network speed you selected.
If you want to test the capability of your equipment and/or the capability of that equipment with the particular connected cable do the link test (with the cable connected to the equipment :) ).

Great explanation! :D