Author Topic: Wiremap Issues  (Read 15676 times)

vampsparky

Re: Wiremap Issues
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2019, 02:09:22 pm »
I'm having the same problem. I don't see that any resolution has been reached. I thought it was the wiremap adapter but apparently not. I'm pretty sure it's a connection issue in the RJ-45 pins but that's not helpful. Are they offerring replacements?

jhoughton

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2019, 03:55:40 pm »
Yes they do, dont know if they will RMA it, or you have to buy it though.  Ive heard a few people getting them replaced on this forum, you might PM the Zoltan guy.

Daniel26

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2020, 01:35:12 pm »
Any news here? Mine ist still not working.

Daniel26

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2020, 04:46:42 pm »
Another month without reply.

Heeeeyyyyyy, Pockethernet Guys, anybody alive?

vanaalten

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2020, 08:22:00 am »
Well, PockEthernet development is still active - as I got two iOS app updates in the past few weeks. Came as a total surprise after a very very long time without updates, but at least for us Apple users there is activity.

Didn't have a chance yet to try the new app.

gsgx

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2020, 06:47:23 pm »
tried new 3.3(.5) on iPad, works fine.
new firmware v33 is available too.

Daniel26

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2020, 09:58:11 am »
Had to borrow a circuit tester now. I have one (pockethernet), but it doesn't work....

ferg22

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2020, 12:11:28 am »
I have just updated my units firmware=33 appVersion=3.35(ios). The app and pockethernet seems to be working fine however every single cable I test fails completely.

Wiremap always fails with lines 1 and 8 are geneally open, but sometimes otehr lines as well. These are short <2m cables.

Testing on the network  I never get a link or dhcp. I cant remember when my switches LED should light up: when the pockEthernet is connected or when the test is started. However the switches link status LEDs never light up.

I made sure the unit was charged and performed the 10sec reset.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

WorcsIT-Ed

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2020, 11:37:20 am »
Check the pins in the connector aren't bent and give them a clean with some alcohol, i think someone else had a similar issue and that sorted it.

ferg22

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2020, 11:50:35 am »
Thanks, I think I am getting there.

Having performed lots of testing this weekend on the same bunch of shortish cables over and over again I am convinced that my Pocketherenet RJ45's socket is rather poor. The Pocketherenet is not used that much, so it is not as though the socket is worn out.
  • inspection of its ethernet socket in very good light reveal the "rails" the rj45 plug slides along are all different shades. Indicating to me they are not quite aligned.
  • using wiremap test on the provided short blue cable, I was repeatably seeing pin 8 and occasional pin 1 open.
  • gently jiggling or reseating the Pocketherenet end of things fixed things for some cables.
  • contact cleaner had no effect.
  • with a little more gentle pulling of the "rails" inside the rj45 socket I was able to get every one of my failing cables to pass
  • even my shortest 30cm cables, which had been giving the most bother all passed.
Some other observations.
   1) Opensource the apps code. Having used the ipad app to make hundreds of tests over the weekend the gui is too cumbersome and leads to lots of operator error. Resetting the app to repeat the same tests often involves ten clicks. I also feel that a better one line summary of a check might often mean I dont need to expand the test results.
   2) Always use the same stub cable or cables to connect to your infrastructure, always check them with wiremap at start of work.
   3) Always include TDR and TDR graph in every line check and "get a feel for normal". I found that faceplate sockets did not aways make good connection which led to poor or failed link/lldp results. However TDR and TDR graph always gave the game away; revealing a poor socket connection. Reseating and retesting was then fine.

WorcsIT-Ed

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2020, 02:19:48 pm »
Glad you've made some progress.

Agree with the resetting of the app for tests. I have brought this up before - I'd like a "reset" button that clears all selected tests ready to go again.  Perhaps some pre-set button(s) would also be useful.