Author Topic: Wiremap Issues  (Read 7592 times)

casey_jones

Re: Wiremap Issues
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 10:29:53 AM »
Hi, I just recieved my unit. Upgraded to V29.  Wiremap seems unreliable. Even on the short supplied cable. Sometimes ok. sometimes fails. battery was charged for 8hours at least. when wiremap fails a ber test ok and repeating the wiremap still fail (of course swap around loopback/wiremap unit).

gsgx

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 02:11:27 PM »
I can confirm there are issues.

Tried with all wires connected besides green and green-white.  Test reports states these and also orange and orange-white are interrupted. 

Have sent a report.

Daniel26

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 01:55:56 PM »
I also found an issue.
With the delivered cable, 1,2 and shield is cut. Testet it again with a 1m pathc cable (cat 5), 1 and 8 are cut.
Another 1m patch cable (cat 5e) 1, 8 and shield are cut.

Al cables are also tested with an microtest TWP and are OK.

Regards

Daniel

tstalzer

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 12:46:37 PM »
Hello @All

Unfortunately, We are having the same issues. All cables above 10m seem to be unreliable. Shorter cables are a 50% chance that they are reported o.k.

This has cost me a couple hourse of work on a client installation. After the problems on the wiremap were reported, we changed 10 keystone modules only to discover the reported errors on PocketEthernet were still there. Unfortunately, I did not have my "normal" network tester (FLuke Linkrunner) with me. After a second visit to the customer site, all cables were verified and ok with the LinkRunner....

So V29 & PocketEthernet is useless for use for wiremap testing (other features are great!)

JeffB

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 09:40:47 PM »
FWIW,

I am on a much older unit, but v29 working great with my wiremap adapter.  The problems seem like they could be the wiremap adapter. 

See this thread for more info.

http://forum.pockethernet.com/index.php?topic=118.15

dloeliger

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 06:54:41 AM »
That tread is about a feature request, not a problem!

marcelmah

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 09:44:26 AM »
Just to inform... I have the same, hardware version 6 fw 29

Wiremap results are wrong and change with each test (same cable, no change).
Simple wire tester confirms cable is fine (is working fine 2).

jboxtel

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »
Can you provide me with more details jboxtel@pockethernet.com?

marcelmah

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 09:54:42 AM »
Can you provide me with more details jboxtel@pockethernet.com?
Just sent you an E-mail.

So everyone is up-to-date, this was the E-mail:
Hi,

Per request: https://forum.pockethernet.com/index.php?topic=235.msg1399#msg1399

I created two video's, both using the same cable, but in the second video I had help with holding the camera :)

The cable is working fine at gigabit speeds and the cheap cable tester reports no errors (note that it is an unshielded cable). The first video shows a miswire on one cable (ignoring the shield), the funny thing is the second video shows a miswire on 5 cables. Putting them back in the cheap cable tester and everything reports fine again.

Sometimes I even get different results when I retest it in PocketEthernet, not this time though.

https://youtu.be/fLlsEr5LzbE
https://youtu.be/thdRlQYja7g

I hope this can be solved (via firmware)!

marcelmah

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 09:21:21 AM »
Any news on this?

marcelmah

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 02:18:26 PM »
Still no news?

WrightClick

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 12:57:49 PM »
I've just bought a Pockethernet and initially it looked like a great bit of kit. However, I've had to use it on a job (music festival, 75m and 100m CAT5 runs from stage to mixing desk) to diagnose an issue and the wiremap test does not work on long cables. It seems I'm not the only person to be having this problem.

The initial issue was that pin 3 was sometimes showing as disconnected on a 100m run of TourCat shielded cable. Having re-terminated both ends of that, it was still showing the same fault intermittently. A simple tester shows that it's fine.

I've just had time to do some more tests on another cable which I know is 100% perfect. It's Syntax brand braid and foil screened CAT5 (tough jacket for outdoor / touring use. When I test the 50m reel of it, it's telling me that the shield is connected to pin 2, which is completely wrong.

If I add another 20m length of the same cable to this, it sometimes shows pin 3 as disconnected and it's also showing that the shield is connected to pin 2 - both of which are incorrect.

It won't do a 1Gbps loopback BER test with the full 70m. It fails saying that the loopback plug is disconnected.

If I do a wiremap test with the short cable supplied with the unit, all connections are showing as correctly connected.

I've tried this on v29 and v30 (beta) firmware and get the same results.

What is going on?

The unit is useless as it stands and I will be requesting a return for a full refund, as it is not fit for purpose.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 01:03:06 PM by WrightClick »

marcelmah

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2018, 09:26:18 AM »
Any news on this? it's awfully quiet...

dloeliger

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 09:11:45 AM »
No news since topic opening. V30 doesn't change problem...

Machtl

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 11:21:15 PM »
We are having the same issue as Wrightclick! Just bought the device.

Measuring a Touring CAT cable of 50m shows ok results. Any longer cable shows a Shield to Pin2 connection, thats wrong! Also the BER Testing is not working.  >:(

Thats the most to functions why we bought the Pockethernet. So, what can we do about this issue?

With this bug the unit is not usable for us!