Author Topic: BER test issue  (Read 4868 times)

ngrison

BER test issue
« on: November 14, 2016, 12:21:56 PM »
Hi all,

I am encountering problems with the BER test and I was wondering if anyone else is having the issue? After a very small number of packets (usually 2000) the pockethernet stops reponding and it must be reset. This happens whatever settings I use (speed, packet size, number of packets,... make no difference) and it happens with various cables. Otherwise thanks for a good piece of hardware.

Best Regards,

Nic

JeffB

Re: BER test issue
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 06:45:21 PM »
Yes, this is the same problem I have reported here:  http://forum.pockethernet.com/index.php?topic=134.0

Seems to happen on certain tests in BER and not others, for example, it worked for the 100M test, but not the 10M.   
I also have trouble with the Traffic test where it will crash the app after the test runs for a while.  For me this happens on iOS running 10.1 with a Pockethernet with v22 firmware.

jboxtel

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 11:26:41 AM »
This should be resolved with the last app update. (iOS version only got accepted last night/this morning)
Could you try to update the app and see if you still have the same problem?

JeffB

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 12:12:35 AM »
OK, I tested again with the latest version of app on iOS 10.1. PE Hardware 4 firmware 22.  Pretty much the exact same problems.  I tried quitting the app and restarting it.  Some combinations of BER test will complete, but many others will not.  For example I can't get any of the 10M tests to complete.  They all stop at 2000 packets and then after a while I get a "No response from Pockethernet" message.  Every time any test fails I have to do a power cycle to reconnect to PE.   I tried the short cable that comes with as well as a longer known good 6 foot cable.  Also, the Traffic test still causes an app crash and does not go past 50 packets.  Other tests seem to work OK.

I know the app version is correct because I can use the long press to remeasure feature.

Any other ideas?

EvilGenius

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 05:59:16 AM »
Mine stays connected through the tests without issue, but I have another weird issue with the BER test.  For the start of a test, a good cable will have no errors, but after a certain point in the test it will start throwing errors and gets worse and worse until the test finishes. 

Testing a known good 20m cable I get about 3m into the 1000/1518b/10M test it starts throwing errors, which pile up and up.  Testing the short cable the PE came with, I get about 7M into the test before it starts throwing errors, same parameters.  This is with the cable/PE sitting in a desk untouched for the duration of the test.  Seems to be repeatable over and over.  Not sure why it would be fine then start throwing errors? 

Michiel

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 08:00:31 AM »
I have the same issues with the BER test. I updated the firmware of the PE this morning and updated the app yesterday.

On the old firmware and app version (PE v21, app 2.30) I was able to complete most of the BER tests, at least the ones on gigabit. Now, the BER stops at 80000 packets and then errors out with a message that connection with the PE is lost. You then have to recycle the power to the PE in order to get it working again. The settings I used was 1518 bytes, random data, 1M packets.

The test at 100 mbit/sec with packets of 1518 bytes random data hangs at 20000 sent. All tests I did with 64 byte packets were finishing correctly.

ngrison

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 03:26:49 PM »
The issue is still present with the latest update. Connectivity with the PE is always lost with most of the settings. 100 Mbps/64 bit packets seem to work but most other combination I've tried just hangs.

Mike1233

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 06:21:12 PM »
I have tried yesterday a BER test and this was ok. 1000Mbit, 1518 bytes, random, 10M packets. I user a cable with the lengte of 25 meter. The test was ok. The only thing i had to do was keep the phone awake. While testing,  the phone goes to sleep the BER test says  that hé is bussy  but i have waited for about 20 minutes an nothing happend. I have to force close the app.

jboxtel

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 11:10:18 AM »
Thanks for the details. We're working on this and hope to release a proper fix for it this / next week.

ngrison

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 10:28:25 AM »
That's great news, thank you!

JeffB

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 08:42:29 PM »
Wondering how it is going with fixing the BER issue and the long cable length TDR test issue?
Thanks.

jboxtel

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 11:13:57 AM »
We've found the problem and should be able to release a fix for this in the next days.

JeffB

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 10:40:09 PM »
Any more progress?  Hope holidays are good for you.

jboxtel

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 02:45:49 PM »
Hi jeff. Hope you had great holidays as well.
Sorry, it has been a bit delayed by end of the year issues. We'll include the fix in the next release. (which should be released soon)

JeffB

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 06:16:58 PM »
Any more progress?  It has been quite a while now since any new versions of the app or firmware have come out.  The current iOS version still seems to be more problematic than the original version.   Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk