Author Topic: BER test issue  (Read 5017 times)

ngrison

BER test issue
« on: November 14, 2016, 12:21:56 PM »
Hi all,

I am encountering problems with the BER test and I was wondering if anyone else is having the issue? After a very small number of packets (usually 2000) the pockethernet stops reponding and it must be reset. This happens whatever settings I use (speed, packet size, number of packets,... make no difference) and it happens with various cables. Otherwise thanks for a good piece of hardware.

Best Regards,

Nic

JeffB

Re: BER test issue
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 06:45:21 PM »
Yes, this is the same problem I have reported here:  http://forum.pockethernet.com/index.php?topic=134.0

Seems to happen on certain tests in BER and not others, for example, it worked for the 100M test, but not the 10M.   
I also have trouble with the Traffic test where it will crash the app after the test runs for a while.  For me this happens on iOS running 10.1 with a Pockethernet with v22 firmware.

jboxtel

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 11:26:41 AM »
This should be resolved with the last app update. (iOS version only got accepted last night/this morning)
Could you try to update the app and see if you still have the same problem?

JeffB

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 12:12:35 AM »
OK, I tested again with the latest version of app on iOS 10.1. PE Hardware 4 firmware 22.  Pretty much the exact same problems.  I tried quitting the app and restarting it.  Some combinations of BER test will complete, but many others will not.  For example I can't get any of the 10M tests to complete.  They all stop at 2000 packets and then after a while I get a "No response from Pockethernet" message.  Every time any test fails I have to do a power cycle to reconnect to PE.   I tried the short cable that comes with as well as a longer known good 6 foot cable.  Also, the Traffic test still causes an app crash and does not go past 50 packets.  Other tests seem to work OK.

I know the app version is correct because I can use the long press to remeasure feature.

Any other ideas?

EvilGenius

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 05:59:16 AM »
Mine stays connected through the tests without issue, but I have another weird issue with the BER test.  For the start of a test, a good cable will have no errors, but after a certain point in the test it will start throwing errors and gets worse and worse until the test finishes. 

Testing a known good 20m cable I get about 3m into the 1000/1518b/10M test it starts throwing errors, which pile up and up.  Testing the short cable the PE came with, I get about 7M into the test before it starts throwing errors, same parameters.  This is with the cable/PE sitting in a desk untouched for the duration of the test.  Seems to be repeatable over and over.  Not sure why it would be fine then start throwing errors? 

Michiel

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 08:00:31 AM »
I have the same issues with the BER test. I updated the firmware of the PE this morning and updated the app yesterday.

On the old firmware and app version (PE v21, app 2.30) I was able to complete most of the BER tests, at least the ones on gigabit. Now, the BER stops at 80000 packets and then errors out with a message that connection with the PE is lost. You then have to recycle the power to the PE in order to get it working again. The settings I used was 1518 bytes, random data, 1M packets.

The test at 100 mbit/sec with packets of 1518 bytes random data hangs at 20000 sent. All tests I did with 64 byte packets were finishing correctly.

ngrison

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 03:26:49 PM »
The issue is still present with the latest update. Connectivity with the PE is always lost with most of the settings. 100 Mbps/64 bit packets seem to work but most other combination I've tried just hangs.

Mike1233

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 06:21:12 PM »
I have tried yesterday a BER test and this was ok. 1000Mbit, 1518 bytes, random, 10M packets. I user a cable with the lengte of 25 meter. The test was ok. The only thing i had to do was keep the phone awake. While testing,  the phone goes to sleep the BER test says  that hé is bussy  but i have waited for about 20 minutes an nothing happend. I have to force close the app.

jboxtel

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 11:10:18 AM »
Thanks for the details. We're working on this and hope to release a proper fix for it this / next week.

ngrison

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 10:28:25 AM »
That's great news, thank you!

JeffB

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 08:42:29 PM »
Wondering how it is going with fixing the BER issue and the long cable length TDR test issue?
Thanks.

jboxtel

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 11:13:57 AM »
We've found the problem and should be able to release a fix for this in the next days.

JeffB

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 10:40:09 PM »
Any more progress?  Hope holidays are good for you.

jboxtel

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 02:45:49 PM »
Hi jeff. Hope you had great holidays as well.
Sorry, it has been a bit delayed by end of the year issues. We'll include the fix in the next release. (which should be released soon)

JeffB

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 06:16:58 PM »
Any more progress?  It has been quite a while now since any new versions of the app or firmware have come out.  The current iOS version still seems to be more problematic than the original version.   Thanks.