General > Feature Suggestions

Multiple numbered Wiremap adapters for remote ends

(1/6) > >>

JeffB:
Multiple numbered Wiremap adapters for remote ends to quickly identify a large number of cables from the app. Maybe different value resistor in each one or something you could identify with your DSP. You could make margin on this accessory too.

JP:
I second this.  Would be really useful.  I already made my own replacement Wiremap terminators, but perhaps changing the value of one resistors would result in the app identifying it as terminator 1 through 6 ?

Also, when doing the wiremap test, the app correctly reports "miswire" or "crossover" but the picture of the wires still looks strait through, this is misleading - at least show ? in the middle of the wire, or something to easily distinguish it from a normal strait patch cable.

snowmanjax:
JP,

How did you already make you own replacement terminators? I was already thinking that I could use more, when I came across this post. Did you use a regular keystone, or are there parts I would have to buy? I don't want to pull apart the one I have, and mess it up, so diagrams would be helpful if you have them.

Thank you for your time.

snowmanjax

JP:
I took apart the one it came with and then reverse engineered it by measuring all the resistor values.
I was able to make others simply by punching down the resistor leads to a keystone jack, soldering them to the pins, and then filling the center with hot glue so none of the leads could touch.

UPDATED 09/17/2017...
The schematic is here: http://jpelectron.com/sample/Electronics/CAT5-%20Pockethernet%20Wiremap%20Terminator.gif

snowmanjax:
JP,

You are a rockstar for providing this!  :D  Just to make sure I to got the diagram right; correct me if I'm wrong:

R2 connects pins 1 and 3, with R1 connected from pin 2 to before R2 on pin 1. R3 connects pin 6 to to pin 3 side of R2. R5 and R6 are connected to pins 4 and 7 in series. R4 connects pin 5 to before R5 on pin 4. And pin 8 is connected between R5 and R6.

Then to make sure nothing touches where it shouldn't, file the keystone jack with hot glue in the center, and where needed.

Do I have it right?

Thank you again.

snowmanjax

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version