Author Topic: Possible fix for hardware deviation  (Read 22 times)

snowmanjax

Possible fix for hardware deviation
« on: October 14, 2017, 06:26:00 PM »
Devs and Forum Users Alike,

I think there may be a fix for a few issues found with the PE. Loopback not found, and miswires may be fixed by this. What I've found is the jack on the PE itself is slightly deeper and wider than most jacks. If you plug in a premade cable with the "nub" boot on it (usually much shorter connector length), you may find you have to push harder to get the clip to click. When I remove the boot, and push the conductors of the cable towards the conductors on the PE jack, sometimes the issues disappear. That leads me to believe my findings are true.

The following solution solves 5 out of 10 miswires (the others were resolved by either a firmware update, or RMA through the wonderful PE team). Quite a few of my colleagues have PE devices for themselves, and this is how I replicated the issues.

The fix is using CAT6 cable, with a CAT6 connector end (no boot, as that end plugs into the PE), and a CAT5E keystone jack (for your cable connections) as an extension. This gets rid of a good amount of hardware deviation between all of the different cables and jacks, as I've found not all cables and jacks are alike. Also, it would lead to less damage to the PE jack.

Can a dev/moderator tell me if the following cable would serve as a decent extension?

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Ethernet-Extension-Shielded-Connector/dp/B00QV0K2DI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1507996475&sr=8-5&keywords=rj45+male+to+female

I don't know if the resistance, reactance, delay, and/or impedance of the above premade extension would make the PE less accurate. TDR uses cable reactance if I remember correctly, and the PE wiremap/loopback adapter uses resistors and impedance to give signal back to the PE device.

If anyone (devs and forum users alike) could please let me know if I'm completely incorrect, or if my findings could be accurate? Thank you all for your time in reading this, and hopefully this sheds some light on a few PE issues.

-Snowman