Author Topic: Serial console support  (Read 1614 times)

attilla

Serial console support
« on: October 10, 2016, 01:40:10 PM »
Hi,

During that crowdfunding it was said that the Pocketethernet has a serial port. With a special cable that would be sold separately, you use it in combination with Bluetooth to have a bluetooth console connection.

Can you disclose details on this or just give the specs for this cable?

-- Attilla

p.s I understand the fight against spam on forums, but these images are almost unreadable...

jboxtel

• Administrator
Re: Serial console support
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 04:11:28 PM »
Hi Atilla. This is pretty high up on our roadmap. We only need to invest some time into researching where to produce the cable, software-wise this shouldn't be very difficult.

Sorry for the spam, the old backerforum got so spammed with fake signups that we thought it would be better to make it a bit harder to signup. (i've lowered the difficulty now)

JeffB

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 06:48:35 PM »
Excellent.  I'd also be happy with Pockethernet just releasing the specs and a recommendation to a 9 pin D to 3.5 mm similar to this one: https://goo.gl/images/p8gs9h for those of us who already have devices.  At less than $10, it's trivial to purchase or make and would save the extra time needed to produce and ship to current owners.  I assume your 3.5 mm port is just tip TX, ting RX, sleeve GND no flow control serial. 

And you could also riff off of this excellent article and make some great adapters to minimize what we carry, but allow for maximal functionality.  http://www.ossmann.com/5-in-1.html I am putting these in to my Pockethernet carrying case to add functionality and reduce the number of cables I have to carry. If this feature works great, we can dump the USB to serial dongle we have to carry now as most laptops no longer come with DB 9 serial.

sgtoma

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 11:55:03 AM »
To my understanding there is an on board RS232 UART port exposed through 3 pin 3.5mm socket.
What is the pin out for this? I would guess that Tip=Tx; Ring=Rx and sleeve=Ground
It is easy to make our own cable as long as the functionality is there.

You could add a tab to the App that exposes this port with RS232 port settings (baud, parity etc) with a field for data to be transmitted and a window displaying the Incoming data.

A good example is  Hercules
http://www.hw-group.com/products/hercules/index_en.html

JeffB

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 08:50:32 PM »
Any update on the serial / terminal feature?  Thanks.

jboxtel

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 10:02:35 AM »
Hi Jeff. Not really. For the last week all of our resources have been focused on the manufacturing of the next batch. There should be more time for development after we start sales again.

JeffB

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 06:32:44 PM »
How goes on MFG and more feature development such as serial console support?

jboxtel

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 10:13:29 AM »
We're first releasing a firmware update which should solve the current issues that were reported so far. We're on the search for an extra developer, which should speed up the process of implementing serial console support as well.

JeffB

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 10:17:52 PM »
Thanks!

JeffB

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 10:18:44 PM »
How's the new developer search going? Now that you have released a very stable Firmware v28 (it's working great for me by the way) the only major feature missing from the original list is the Serial port for console control of routers and switch gear, etc.   

Thanks.

Devo-McDuff

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 06:45:42 PM »
I use AirConsole for this purpose but if I could buy a cable for my Pockethernet to do the same thing, cowabunga! How useful can one device get! I'm recommending this to my IT pro colleagues all the time.

eits

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 09:41:06 PM »
yeah +1

JeffB

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 12:12:18 AM »
May we please have an update on Serial Port/ terminal development? Thanks.