Author Topic: Allow for custom tones  (Read 149 times)

oktmighty

Allow for custom tones
« on: September 19, 2017, 05:20:23 PM »
It would be cool to be able to add our own tones from either the app or even via the firmware uploader. I originally thought that was going to be an option from the kickstarter and I was somewhat disappointed when I found out otherwise.  :-[

BjornR1989

• Powered by ethernet
    • Homepage
Re: Allow for custom tones
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 10:51:03 AM »
Any additional functionality is welcomed but what's the practical use of being able to upload or define custom tones?
Sure, if you had a 24-port patchpanel and 24 Pockethernet devices, it'd be easy to know which connector goes to which outlet based on the endless possible tone combinations.
Let's be realistic, this function is only used to find a pair and that's it.

Maybe a practical advantage: the L/C values of a cable will attenuate certain frequencies more or less than others which is where different tones may be handy but when your cables are attenuating kilohertzes, then they won't carry any ethernet signal at all.

... Or were you thinking of playing some kind of happy birthday melody when you're with a collegue on a job? :)
I brake... For lanparties!
... Also: can't apply avatar settings on this forum.

eits

Re: Allow for custom tones
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 02:46:59 PM »
Sure, if you had a 24-port patchpanel and 24 Pockethernet devices, it'd be easy to know which connector goes to which outlet based on the endless possible tone combinations.

i like the way you think  :P