Author Topic: Reveal port VLANs when more than one  (Read 454 times)

GOuellet

Reveal port VLANs when more than one
« on: June 26, 2017, 07:32:23 AM »
When you network has multiples VLAN, and an heterogenous environment (Like VLANs for VoIP, Computers, etc...  You more likely have ports with both ACCESS VLAN and a VOICE VLAN on it, (Advertised by LLDP if I'm correct).

it would be great if you could get the Pockethernet to display both avaiable VLANs here.

And even greater if it could simulate a VoIP phone (Pockethernet to announce itself or imitate the signature as an IP Phone when acquiring an IP address from DHCP.

Only got in my hand once a Fluke (can't remember the model) that could sim a Cisco, Avaya and Polycom or MITEL...  but for sure remember the price of >8000$

(Get your eyes on Netool.io / One should keep an eye on their rivals)
You beat them by a mile with your TDR and Wiremap capabilities.  Keep the goods comming !

jboxtel

• Administrator
Re: Reveal port VLANs when more than one
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 02:24:42 PM »
Voice and native vlan should already be advertised by LLDP. For simulating an IP phone wouldn't it be enough if you could set the VLAN setting to the voice vlan ID and then request dhcp?

GOuellet

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 11:46:03 PM »
Can't put attachments so if you need them, just reply you do.

>>>>>>>>>An Error Has Occurred!
>>>>>>>>>Cannot access attachments upload path!

GOuellet

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 01:39:57 PM »
Good point jboxtel, sorry I didn't think of that first ;) (setting the vlan setting)

It would still be usefull if we could select / choose between LLDP and CDP thought so tha could wait for the protocol and tlvs you're looking for when both are at play and we don't have privilegged access to cisco devices console.

In neither protocol, the voice vlan is displayed only the native or access vlan. Maybe it's one of the others tlvs not in displays

What I'm trying to say here is when you're in a situation where it's not you who manage the switch and the vlans aren't already known to you.  So you can't set rhe vlan id in you're settings when it's unkown.  Situation actually quite frequent when you are from an external cabling and wiring company these days.

Sorry for the confusion, Maybe I should have made 2 differents topics.   But it is related to the feature.

See attachements withh LLDP & CDP and the port config from the access switch CISCO 3750

Note : CDP is enabled on this port but disabled temporily to catch LLDP too.  But tests were also ran with both protocols activated

swt002#sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, C3750 Software (C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(55)SE10, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
System image file is "flash:c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin"
cisco WS-C3750-48P (PowerPC405) processor (revision K0) with 131072K bytes of memory.

swt002#sh run int fa 1/0/8
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 167 bytes
!
interface FastEthernet1/0/8
 switchport access vlan 2
 switchport mode access
 switchport voice vlan 20
 spanning-tree portfast
 spanning-tree bpduguard enable
end

swt002#sh lldp