Author Topic: PocketEthernet are they any good?  (Read 1132 times)

ts_17

PocketEthernet are they any good?
« on: February 10, 2017, 01:52:52 PM »
Hello all

Joined this forum, looking at purchasing one of these and wanted to know how good they really are from users out there?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Terry

eits

Re: PocketEthernet are they any good?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 01:44:06 PM »
never wanna miss mine again ;)

NeerDeth

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 03:11:29 PM »
The ordering process was easier than expected; I'd never ordered something overseas before and was very concerned about the extra fees (there weren't any).  They answered my questions promptly beforehand.  I've had mine for about a month now and my biggest problems are my lack of knowledge in network tests and the absence of painful mind-numbing procedures for how to read each test result.   I don't blame the company for this gap, and I'm constantly making cables and testing them to learn more.

The tester itself (made in Hungary) is very sturdy and I expect it to be around a very long time. The included adapter (for wiremap and loopback) is also sturdy, but where you insert the LAN cable moves up and down, and I'm not sure why.  I've never had a problem connecting Bluetooth.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 03:24:54 PM by NeerDeth »

JeffB

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 12:54:38 AM »
Yes, a very good product.  You can't get this kind of functionality anywhere else without spending hundreds or thousands of dollars more.   My only out of the box improvement would be for them to add stickers that professionalize the product and the acrylic end plates a bit.   And I think it would be great if there was a silicone type case to keep the aluminum from getting scratched or dented  similar to other daily use test equipment.

EvilGenius

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 04:58:52 AM »
I don't know of anything else on the market that can do what pockethernet does for less money, and pockethernet is still growing in capability.  I don't think anyone would be disappointed with one of these :)

Niki0beas

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 02:58:14 AM »
I have no idea  of it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:05:56 AM by Niki0beas »

denbolle

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 02:09:50 PM »
Well... my experience (tl;dr : it is worth every cent!) :

- for this issue I had : Enviroment with 3 Nix servers and connected NAS.  Servers are upgraded and sh*t hits the fan: one server has no network connection. Every trick done to have the network working again, but to no avail.
As the cables are self made : PocketEthernet (PE) to the rescue: perhaps a wire or pin has broken and therefore this issue exists.  PE connected to cable shows link, but no further action.
Then I notice in the app that DHCP shows no ip data..  Connected the PE to another part of the network what works at that moment: still no DHCP data.

Based on that info : not the inital server has an issue but my DHCP server: apparently some apparmor thinghy messed up the boot process of my dhcp server. Fixed it and all works.

So why the PE is good : in this case it saved me a huge amount of time because I would focus on the  inital server, its hardware and the cabeling and the PE quite quickly forced me into the DHCP error.

JeffB

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 07:34:07 PM »
Great story.  Yes, PE is great because it's at that perfect level above a basic cable continuity type tester, but well below a laptop or other actual LAN citizens.  So it let's you verify all the basics first.