Author Topic: Be able to test Cable while connected to a network switch?  (Read 958 times)

mo33612

Be able to test Cable while connected to a network switch?
« on: November 30, 2016, 02:37:10 PM »
Be able to test cables while the connected to a network switch.

Pockmark

Re: Be able to test Cable while connected to a network switch?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 04:56:37 AM »
I don't think that's technically feasible with an analog tone generator, since it relies on radio waves. The open cable acts as an antenna, but when connected to a switch the circuit is completed and the signal goes to ground. Or something like that.

Fluke has a proprietary digital toning method called Intellitone which works on connected cables; a toner & probe kit costs about $200.

The PE has the port light blinker tool which can help trace connected cables, which is certainly better than just looking for unlit ports or unplugging cables at random, which I tried-- once.

JeremyG

Re: Be able to test Cable while connected to a network switch?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 05:17:01 PM »
When I read this I wasn't thinking of the Tone Test, but of the TDR and Wiremap tests. I have Meraki Switches and they can do this so I was surprised when the Pocketethernet couldn't.

BjornR1989