Author Topic: Multiple numbered Wiremap adapters for remote ends  (Read 3266 times)

JP

Re: Multiple numbered Wiremap adapters for remote ends
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 06:43:07 AM »
Weller is good.  I personally have a TENMA with a temperature controlled tip.

De-soldering and messing up the pads/board traces is always a risk, more so if it's been done before.  Using a solder sucker or wick is a good way to do it.  That's why I say it might be better to cut the male end off the wall wart, and replace that with the oversized plug size that now mates with the existing jack - a little ghetto, yes, but perhaps the safer route at this point.

Thanks guys - I've been designing/servicing/hacking electronics since ~1988.

I like Jeff's idea of a PCB with leads that then get punched down, that could still fit within the center of a keystone so nothing is protruding.

snowmanjax

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 06:44:04 PM »
JP,

Only the pad is lifted, the trace is still intact. Any ideas on getting the pad down? I used a solder sucker, but I think the solder was just too old. Also, one of the caps completely exploded, and its lead was the one that lifted.

Awesome to hear you stuck with hardware that long. You must love it like we all do!

snowmanjax

batshatner

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 06:00:26 AM »

>Multiple numbered Wiremap adapters for remote ends

This would be a very high priority for us.   I'll be making some of the 'intermediate' wiremap plugs mentioned earlier in the thread (thanks for the pin-out JP!!!).   But having multiple ID'd wiremap plugs is pretty much a standard/critical piece for any wire tester.   I know I saw mentioned on the website that the hope was to have support for 'other/multiple vendors wire map plugs' in a future firmware release on the website somewhere,  as well as eventually producing your own -- I'm hoping this comes to fruition sooner rather than later.

I've purchased a couple of these for our company (and we love them),  however a lack of numbered wiremap locators is a serious issue for us.

Thanks
batshatner

JaseSerre

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 03:43:11 PM »
Hi...i am a new user here. I want to know how did you already make you own replacement terminators? Did you use a regular keystone, or are there parts I would have to buy? I don't want to pull apart the one I have, and mess it up, so diagrams would be helpful if you have them.

pcb prototype assembly
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:19:18 PM by JaseSerre »

Mike1233

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 12:02:09 AM »
In the fourth post, from JP, there is a link to a schematic drawing.
I made one for myself, to try if i can do this also, and its working.
I fits almost in a wall plug like this.
https://i.stack.imgur.com/GL8Yp.jpg

Sam

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 06:27:59 PM »
Would it not be possible and easier to make terminators from old patch cables? My primary need is for measuring outlets

dloeliger

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 10:52:14 AM »
Isn't there a connection missing to test the shield? The schematic doen't mention it. Any clues?

trevor@rbc.us

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 01:57:15 PM »
+1

steve

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 09:43:14 PM »
Once the single wire map is working correctly
multiple connectors would be great - I use these a lot with my other cable testers that id be glad to ditch
+1

JP

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 04:35:43 AM »
Just a quick note to let people know I updated the schematic, there was a problem with the placement (not the value) of R6.
See: http://jpelectron.com/sample/Electronics/CAT5-%20Pockethernet%20Wiremap%20Terminator.gif

I did not realize this until I went to construct more of these and looking back at my original notes I made a mistake, very sorry!

As someone else pointed out, my wiremap adapters do NOT test the shield (it will always appear open) as I don't have any shielded jacks/cords to experiment with.

eits

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »
any progress to the addon-adapters at all or at least points on a roadmap?? (or are you just let everyone by several pockethernets, let they put them into a shelf and only use the adapters with one unit? ... i know it's an id problem  :P)

JP

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2017, 10:14:45 PM »
I will have wiremap adapters for sale at the end of the month.

You can see a video review below, which shows my adapters, but also some display issues I've discovered with the app while doing the wiremap test:

https://youtu.be/dHtHtchHLJ8

Let me know your thoughts.

snowmanjax

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 05:31:35 PM »
JP,

Any chance of putting two (2) 8 conductor couplers (1 for each wiremap) in the kit for an additional price (maybe 2 kits, so we can decide what we would like to buy)? Would like to give you the money, and I think it would solve some issues I've found. Have any of the PE devs looked at your terminators to maybe implement them, and fix the software bugs? Other than that, all looks awesome. Keep up the good work!

-Snowman

viya0414

• PCBA
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 04:56:27 AM »
I want to know how did you already make you own replacement terminators? Did you use a regular keystone, or are there parts I would have to buy?

PCBA