Author Topic: Multiple numbered Wiremap adapters for remote ends  (Read 2655 times)

JeffB

Multiple numbered Wiremap adapters for remote ends
« on: October 11, 2016, 05:25:53 AM »
Multiple numbered Wiremap adapters for remote ends to quickly identify a large number of cables from the app. Maybe different value resistor in each one or something you could identify with your DSP. You could make margin on this accessory too.

JP

Re: Multiple numbered Wiremap adapters for remote ends
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 06:47:05 PM »
I second this.  Would be really useful.  I already made my own replacement Wiremap terminators, but perhaps changing the value of one resistors would result in the app identifying it as terminator 1 through 6 ?

Also, when doing the wiremap test, the app correctly reports "miswire" or "crossover" but the picture of the wires still looks strait through, this is misleading - at least show ? in the middle of the wire, or something to easily distinguish it from a normal strait patch cable.

snowmanjax

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 12:32:05 AM »
JP,

How did you already make you own replacement terminators? I was already thinking that I could use more, when I came across this post. Did you use a regular keystone, or are there parts I would have to buy? I don't want to pull apart the one I have, and mess it up, so diagrams would be helpful if you have them.

Thank you for your time.

snowmanjax

JP

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 03:57:34 PM »
I took apart the one it came with and then reverse engineered it by measuring all the resistor values.
I was able to make others simply by punching down the resistor leads to a keystone jack, soldering them to the pins, and then filling the center with hot glue so none of the leads could touch.  The schematic is here: http://jpelectron.com/sample/Electronics/CAT5-%20Pockethernet%20Wiremap%20Terminator.gif

snowmanjax

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 05:50:06 PM »
JP,

You are a rockstar for providing this!  :D  Just to make sure I to got the diagram right; correct me if I'm wrong:

R2 connects pins 1 and 3, with R1 connected from pin 2 to before R2 on pin 1. R3 connects pin 6 to to pin 3 side of R2. R5 and R6 are connected to pins 4 and 7 in series. R4 connects pin 5 to before R5 on pin 4. And pin 8 is connected between R5 and R6.

Then to make sure nothing touches where it shouldn't, file the keystone jack with hot glue in the center, and where needed.

Do I have it right?

Thank you again.

snowmanjax

JP

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 05:37:25 AM »
Yep, that's pretty much it.  Good luck.  I made 4 with no problems so far, so I can plug them in at the server room patch panel and then go to jack locations and test a few before having to run back.

jboxtel

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 11:51:54 AM »
Thanks JP for providing this intermediate solution! (We will produce multiple numbered ones, but probably can't manage to do this in the very near future)

snowmanjax

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 02:52:50 PM »
jboxtel,

What resistors would have to be changed to produce the numbers to be recognized by the app? Or is there more involved?

JP,

I've got some resistors on order. I look forward to reproducing this.  :D

snowmanjax

JP

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 03:42:14 PM »
The phone app, and device hardware/firmware would need to be programmed to recognize and display the ID # of the wiremap terminators with the different resistor value.  That's something we end-users aren't about to accomplish ourselves, unless the software somehow became open source (and I'm not suggesting here that's a great idea)

I can make wiremap adapters all day, in fact, it might be fun to offer these as a kit to end-users to assemble themselves: RJ45 jack, small PCB, resistors, shrink wrap.  Or, if you're in need of a US guy who can make small production runs, I'd be interested.

...but knowing which resistor value to change for which wiremap ID# you want, would need to be told to us, after the software side of things is built to do it.  I imagine only one of the resistor values needs to change, for the ID to be possible.

In any case, good to know this is being considered.

JeffB

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 07:01:37 PM »
I'd be happy to help as well. I have a background in electronics/IT/programming. We could easily panelize a small PCB and hand solder the few SMD resistors needed. And don't need the loopback side of the adapter that comes with the PE.  Just a single jack per adapter. 

JP

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 07:14:17 PM »
While I can appreciate SMD resistors would result in a smaller terminator, not everyone with varying skill levels of soldering will be able to accomplish that.  Through-hole makes it easier for the masses, to avoid mixing up the components and/or cooking them with the iron, which will then lead to un-reliable tests.

Others here may be interested in a comparison of network tester terminators...
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AgUw4-P8zV0njFWauGMHKzVVcP0X

(yes, I take almost everything I own apart)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 07:24:13 PM by JP »

snowmanjax

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 07:59:07 PM »
You guys are awesome when it comes to hardware! If there is any POTS phone system you need help with (ESI, Vodavi, Samsung, etc), I'd be happy to lend a hand. I've got a year and a half working with multiple KSUs (Key System Unit), and even know how to default and erase quite a few telecom systems.

Good points on the software side of things. Most of my knowledge ends with Windows unfortunately. Completely agree not making it open source for the people in this world who steal code.

Speaking of hardware, anyone know where to find a DC jack for a JDSU Smartclass Home SC-Home-ATT1? The person who had it before me used too big of a barrel connector, making the jack unreliable at times.

JP

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 09:52:47 PM »
You might consider taking the device or wall wart to a local Radio Shack (if they still exist in your area), so you can compare/measure the correct size of barrel connector - once you know the size, then consider if replacing the male plug on the wall wart is better than having to de-solder and replace the jack in the tester.

Otherwise measure it...
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/59595/how-can-i-tell-the-size-of-a-barrel-power-connector
https://www.google.com/search?q=dc+plug+size+chart&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&biw=1548&bih=834&dpr=0.92

I source components from DigiKey, Newark Electronics, Jameco, even Amazon sometimes.

JeffB

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 11:53:50 PM »
JP, I like your adapters!  Not sure that the average person would be able to keep all the resistors and tight soldering straight enough to put them directly into the connector either.  I was thinking more of a small run mass production service where you panelize and submit with other small run jobs until there is a large enough order.   But I really like the size of your adapters. 

I would propose a hybrid where there was a small pre-made pcb board with small SMDs with 8 wires sticking out, 4 on each side, that could be directly punched down in to a typical jack. Or just a pre-soldered network of resistors with leads sticking out in the shape of a typical 8 wire H punch down pattern.  Those could be made for pennies.   It would be easy to build a little lead forming jig that would lay it all out and then it would be a snap to just solder a few key interconnect points, and then trim ends and punch in to jack connector.   

snowmanjax

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 03:52:12 AM »
JP,

When I measured the plug with my buddy's digital caliper, I found it was 2.5mm ID and 4.5mm OD. Issue is the previous owner had a 3.0mm ID 5.0mm OD plug he used to charge it. >:(  If I place the correct 2.5mm x 4.5mm plug in, it's loose, and rarely makes a connection. Guess I will have to upgrade my soldering iron, because it's a one temperature one from Radio Shack. I don't trust it on a $400 piece of equipment. Is Weller a good brand? If not, are there some you could suggest?

I'm always a bit nervous on desoldering a working part, and then not being able to find the replacement. About a year ago, I tried to replace the high voltage caps on an LG TV power board, and I lifted a solder pad completely up upon trying to remove the old caps. Never could get the pad back down.

And I second JeffB's comments on your awesome adapters. How many years have you been on the hardware side of things?

DigiKey and Mouser have always treated me right, but I will also check out Newark and Jameco on your suggestion.

Thanks again!

snowmanjax