Author Topic: time is money  (Read 283 times)

eits

time is money
« on: August 08, 2017, 12:00:43 PM »
... and you guys invest a lot of both into this project - thumbs up for that. and also if i might earn killing glances from other users: have you already thought about splitting the ios/android apps into basic and premium, based on a greater feature-set?
as of the many new feature requests every few weeks and some of them being not that easy to implement - and the fact that every of us user saves a lot of money using such a tool-set and saving even more money not being pulled into the top dogs arms with having your product at choice - imho i think it would not be brazen to take a step back and think about the basic features you designed initial (and you further should care about and fix upcoming issues as you already did in the past ;)) and take another step back and realize how many time you have to invest in the future to fullfil our newly uncoverd wishes for this "swissarmynetworkknife" (and how many time we users win "not to have start up our notebooks and run wireshark"), but i think it would be just fair to think about a good distribution concept (maybe some teams share a pockethernet, so they might need the app for more then only one or two devices) and a price for premium that legitimates your time-invest

on my own example, i need the app for at least ios and android at the same time (i gave up on waiting for a windows phone port) and i could think at least about a mid- to highrange two digit price without getting a headache (if being able to use it on both mentioned platforms without need to pay twice ;))

thats just my two cents about i wanted to share - i hope this will start a discussion and i would like to hear from the users and the guys behind pockethernet also ;)
(maybe i am false and you like coding that much, so you never want to get paid for at all??)

JeffB

Re: time is money
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:25:35 PM »
+1.  I'd be willing to pay more to get more.  Especially if that allowed you guys to develop more features.  Hardware is usually the easy part.   I know it takes a huge amount of effort to keep the apps and firmware up to date and stable.  I don't think that current and future development should all be for free based on the one time purchase of the device.   Your work is valuable. Thanks!

BjornR1989

• Powered by ethernet
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »
I'm willing to support individuals as well as companies in many ways, including financially but crippling the device or software and segmenting the user base is never a good option imo.
It will lead to increased support requests ("why can't i"... "hate this thing"... "already paid for the damn thing"...) which may annoy people on both sides.

Subscription-based (paid) official support or donations (bountysource) are the way to go.
Maybe i'm not looking at it from a commercial point of view since i prefer free and opensource software/hardware.
Then again, Pockethernet isn't opensource, is it?

Thanks for your work, i like what you are doing, i'd love to support you but i'd rather not be forced to.
I brake... For lanparties!
... Also: can't apply avatar settings on this forum.

eits

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 02:25:55 PM »
i am with you when it is about paid support, that would of course be an option. for base support and bug-fixing. but how would you finance the development costs for the new features people keep calling for?

the old way would have been to develop a complete new tool generation, pe2.0, and just put the new features into this one and let the first generation go it's way down the recycling street.
but i do not like unnecessary electronic scrap - i really hate throwing things away just because there is a new generation (our society does this with gagdets and people too, but this woul lead to philosophical discussion ;)) - and as by now the requested features are mostly software-addons, a new hardware generation won't be necessary.

but on the other hand the development costs will explode for the founders and i totally understand that they do this all not only because they are bored or just philanthropists. a job is only good if it feeds its worker ;)

so i only see two ways how keeping an ear on the user-base and developing requested features can work on a longterm:
- producing unnecessary electronic scrap and make money with next generation pockethernet
- keep doing a good base support and charge people for every new software-feature a little bit

i would not expect for the new features to be free - do you?

BjornR1989